Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: I hour 15 minutes
Cooling and Assembling: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
If you’re looking for a new way to prepare a classic Thanksgiving side dish, this is for you. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are a fun and delicious twist on the standard sweet potato casserole. They can even be prepared and assembled (up to the 2nd baking) up to 4 hours in advance. Just cover and keep on the counter until ready to bake (again!).
● 1 baking sheet lined with foil
● 6 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed clean
● 3 tbsp brown sugar
● 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
● 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
● ¼ cup maple syrup
● ½ tsp ground cinnamon
● ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
● ¼ tsp ground ginger
● 1 pinch Kosher salt and black pepper (each)
● 2 cups mini marshmallows
● Cooking spray
● Preheat oven to 350°F.
● Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted easily pierces the flesh. Let cool to handle, about 30 minutes.
● Use a sharp knife to cut out a diamond shape of the skin on the top (lengthwise) of each potato. Peel away the diamond-shaped piece of skin. Use a spoon to scoop out most of the flesh leaving a mostly hollow skin (it’s okay if you don’t get all of the flesh removed).
● Transfer the scooped-out flesh to a large bowl and add the brown sugar, butter, cream cheese, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and pepper. Use a hand mixer or wooden spoon to mix until mostly smooth (it’s okay if it’s a little lumpy).
● Increase oven temperature to 375°F. Cover the baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
● Spoon the sweet potato filling into all of the potatoes. You can mound the filling somewhat for each one. Top with marshmallows and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned (keep an eye on them, don’t let the marshmallows burn!). Serve at once.