Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are such a wonderful celebration of fall baking and Halloween sweet treats! They are somewhere between a cake and a cookie, but we call them pies! And you won’t believe how simple they are to prepare!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cooling and Assembling: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin purée — not pumpkin pie filling
- 1⅓ cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk and stir until completely combined.
- Working in batches, add and stir in flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Use a medium ice cream scoop, or a large spoon, to add about 1½ to 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the parchment paper. Use a spoon to spread the dough to about a 2-inch diameter. Continue with the remaining batter, leaving about 1 inch between each round of batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, switching the baking sheets halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool for about 10 minutes. Carefully peel the cookies away from the parchment paper and allow them to cool completely on racks, about another 10 to 15 minutes.
MAKE THE FILLING AND ASSEMBLE THE WHOOPIE PIES
- While the cookies are cooling, make the filling by adding the softened butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer (electric works well) to cream the butter together with the cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar and carefully mix on low, gradually increasing the speed until fully combined.
- Turn half of the cookies over and pipe in the cream cheese filling or spread with a spoon and/or spatula. Top with the remaining cookies.
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 495mg | Potassium: 166mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 422IU | Vitamin C: 1mg
Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 2mg