A dessert from Australia or New Zealand is so beautiful to serve and is always such a hit. Be sure to beat the egg
whites just until stiff peaks form, this is usually about 8 to 10 minutes. The baked meringue can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
Servings – 8; Prep time – 15 minutes; Cook time – 1 hour; Resting time in oven – 2 hours; Total time – 3 hours, 15 minutes
4 egg whites – room temperature
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sugar, plus tbsp for the whipped cream
2 tsp vanilla extract divided
1 tsp lemon juice fresh
11⁄2 cups heavy cream
Stand mixer with whisk Or
FOR THE MACERATED STRAWBERRIES:
16 oz strawberries
leave some whole, for
2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 250°F and place a baking rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and use a 9-inch cake pan to draw a circle on the paper with a pin. Flip the paper over.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium for about 1 minute. Add in the cornstarch and continue beating for another 3 minutes, until foamy. You may need to use a small spatula to scrape down some of the cornstarch
from the sides of the bowl. 4 egg whites, 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Raise the speed to as high as it will go and gradually add in the sugar. Continue to beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Turn the mixer off and add 1 tsp of vanilla and lemon juice. Turn the mixer back on high and mix until all is combined. 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp lemon juice
- Transfer the meringue from the bowl (and whisk) onto the parchment paper. Use the back of a large spoon or a spatula to spread the meringue into a sphere within the circle you drew on the parchment paper. Use the spoon to create a little indention on the top and create small little “whisps” on the sides.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and let the meringue rest (in the oven) for 2 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving, place the sliced strawberries in a medium bowl and sprinkle in 2 tbsp of sugar. Toss with a wooden spoon and place in the refrigerator. 16 oz strawberries, 2 tbsp sugar
- Gently remove the parchment paper from the baked meringue and place the meringue on a platter.
- Use your stand mixer with the whisk attachment (cleaned) or a hand mixer to beat together the cream with 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extra. Beat on high until soft peaks form. 11⁄2 cups heavy cream
- Use a large spoon to transfer the whipped cream on top of the baked meringue. Top with the macerated strawberries, spooning some of the juice onto the pavlova so it drizzles down the sides. Top with a few whole strawberries, if desired. Serve at once.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated
Fat: 1g | Sodium: 26mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 7IU | Vitamin C:
34mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.3mg