Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy. It is a great way to take a break from your busy day to strengthen your body and calm your mind. Here are the reasons why you should incorporate stretching into your everyday routine.
- Reduce muscle tension and increase relaxation
- Increase your range of motion and flexibility
- Avoid muscle and joint strains
- Reduce the risk of back problems
- Prepare your body for strenuous exercise
- Improve circulation
- Decrease your risk of injuries
- Improve posture
Important tips to keep in mind
Sometimes, stretching can cause more harm than good. Before you jump into a stretching routine, make sure you do it safely and effectively.
- Warm-up first. Before stretching, warm up with a light walk or jog for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strive for symmetry. Instead of aiming to be as flexible as a gymnast, focus on having equal flexibility side to side.
- Focus on major muscle groups. This includes your calves, thighs, hips, lower back, neck, and shoulders.
- Hold your stretch. Hold each stretch for about 30 seconds and be sure to breathe normally.
- Don’t aim for pain. Feeling tension is normal, but if it hurts then you’ve pushed too hard. Back off to the point where you don’t feel pain and hold the stretch there.
How Texas Bone & Joint can help you stay active and healthy
The world-class team of orthopedic surgeons and sports medicine physicians at Texas Bone & Joint diagnose and treat diseases and injuries related to bones, ligaments, muscles, and nerves. They use the latest technology and customized treatment plans to provide you with the highest level of care. Call us to learn how we can help you achieve your goals, so you can get back to making every day count.