Lithium Coin Batteries: Tips to Help Keep Kids Safe

Lithium coin batteries are found in many household devices. They are small, about the size of a nickel, and if swallowed can cause serious harm. Select lithium coin products with safety features such as child secure packaging, and when available, a non-toxic bitter coating designed to help discourage swallowing. 

Common household devices with lithium coin batteries:

  • key finders
  • home security devices
  • remote controls
  • wireless doorbells
  • key fobs
  • kitchen scales
  • weight scales
  • thermometers
  • String lights

Four simple steps:

  • Look for loose batteries. Get down to your child’s eye level to see what they see. Look in couch cushions, on low tables and shelves, or any other areas that a child can reach.
  • Keep batteries in a secure compartment, up high and out of a child’s reach.
  • Secure battery compartments by tightening the screws or securing them with tape. Tape could ensure the compartment does not accidentally open.
  • Keep a watchful eye. Toddlers and young children are curious by nature so close supervision is key.

If you suspect your child has ingested a lithium coin or other small battery, take your child immediately to an emergency room. Your child may not show symptoms at first, but a lithium coin battery can cause a harmful chemical reaction and burn the esophagus within a few hours. This can be life-threatening. An x-ray can properly diagnose unintentional ingestion. If you are not able to drive, call 911 for help.

Like what you see?

Subscribe to our newsletter!